Strikes on Syria will not lead to the displacement of Assad

Share

Foreign Minister Boris Johnson said there were now no plans for further attacks in Syria after Britain and its allies France and the U.S. launched air strikes on the regime's chemical weapons facilities.

Johnson said on Sunday to CNN that Britain had to move quickly on Syria, ruling out parliamentary approval.

"I'm afraid that is the unhappy corollary of this that if we say we're limiting our action to chemical weapons. then of course it follows that the rest of the Syrian war must proceed as it will", Johnson told BBC television.

"The erosion of that taboo, that has been in place for 100 years, has gone too far under Bashar al-Assad and it was time that we said "no" and I think it was totally, therefore, the right thing to do".

"There is no proposal on the table for further attacks because so far, thank heavens, the Assad regime has not been so foolish to launch another chemical weapons attack", Johnson said.

Jose Mourinho demands better consistency from Paul Pogba
This shouldn't shadow what has been a fantastic season for City, with many fantastic wins helping them on their way to the title. He said: "There's players all over the world Portugal, Spain - you name it - wherever". "I trust in my work", he said.

Last Saturday, the United States, France, and the United Kingdom launched strikes on a number of targets in Syria in response to an alleged chemical attack in the Damascus suburb of Douma. "The primary objective is to say no to the use of barbaric chemical weapons".

Meanwhile Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has said Parliament should have been given a vote ahead of the strikes.

Lithuania's foreign minister, Linas Antanas Linkevicius, said today: "Not everyone is capable to take part in the air strikes, but it's important to support [them]".

Boris Johnson warned yesterday that Russian Federation could retaliate through cyberattacks on the NHS or power networks.

Share