Bruce McArthur charged with 8th count of first-degree murder

Share

Accused serial killer Bruce McArthur has been charged with an eighth count of first-degree murder, with Toronto police saying an worldwide agency helped them identify the new victim.

Police were able to identify Kanagaratnam after taking what Idsinga called a "last resort" and releasing a photo where he appeared to be dead.

Idsinga said more remains might be found at the home McArthur used as storage and that 75 properties linked to the landscaper are under investigation. He said Kanagaratnam arrived from Sri Lanka in 2010 and was not on file as missing in Canada.

Police originally released a photo of the victim to the public in the hope that someone could help correctly identify them.

Authorities said he was allegedly murdered by McArthur sometime between September 3 and December 14, 2015.

Toronto police Detective Sgt. Hank Idsinga said Monday the 66-year-old landscaper has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Kirushna Kumar Kanagaratnam. He said identification was confirmed with the assistance of an global government agency.

Vincent Kompany challenges Manchester City to step up a gear next season
Pep Guardiola masterminded a successful regime at Barcelona where he won 14 trophies in Spain . But United's loss to bottom-placed West Brom probably caught out the club and the players.

Police say they plan to investigate at least 70 more properties where McArthur is believed to have worked starting next month, and also remain on the scene of McArthur's east-Toronto apartment. Later that month, McArthur was charged with the murders of Majeed Kayhan, Soroush Mahmudi, and Dean Lisowick. "We've had lots of global calls since our pleas began from people who just haven't seen family members in years".

His vehicle was found near the home of one of McArthur's landscaping clients, where police allege McArthur left the dismembered remains of several victims in planters.

"I think we've all seen in the media so-called experts who tell us that serial killers don't start in their late 50s and their 60s", Idsinga said.

It remains unclear how the man was identified or where he was from.

He emphasized, however, that police have not uncovered any evidence to suggest that McArthur's alleged killing spree began before 2010 when Navaratnam is believed to have died. Police have said he was never reported missing and unlike McArthur's other alleged victims, Kanagaratnam had no clear ties to the LGBTQ community. It's unknown whether he will be facing further charges, but investigators are looking into murders and disappearances going back as far as 1975. It was not immediately clear whether he had been reported missing in Sri Lanka, where his immediate family lives.

Share