All accused in 2007 Hyderabad Mecca Masjid case acquitted by special court


Eleven years after a blast at the historic Mecca Masjid in Hyderabad, a special National Investigation Agency (NIA) court is expected to pronounce its judgment in the 2007 case on Monday.

The blast, during Friday prayers on May 18, 2007, was first investigated by the police. As many as nine persons died in the blast and another five in the subsequent firing by the police to control violent protests by the mob.

The chargesheet also mentioned that Aseemanand made a confessional statement before a metropolitan magistrate in Delhi. However, he later said the confession had been "coerced out" of him.

The Mecca Masjid case has faced several setbacks. Investigations were underway against two other accused.

BJP's Subramanian Swamy, meanwhile, read a larger design.

The others acquitted are Devendra Gupta, Lokesh Sharma, Bharath Mohan Lal Rateshwar and Rajendra Choundary.

WhatsApp now allows you to re-download deleted photos and videos
WhatsApp has rolled out a new feature wherein users will be able to re-download the files that were deleted from the phone. WhatsApp beta version 2.18.109 listed the last time users were online with the timestamps - "89ESTERDAY" and "84ODAY".

Investigation against another two, Tejram Parmar and Amit Chowhan, is still on. He was earlier acquitted in Ajmer Dargah blast case and also got bail in the Samjhauta Express blast case of 2014. The Special NIA court announced them acquitted after the prosecution failed to produce the proofs.

Eight people were facing trial for their alleged involvement in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blast. Some of them later alleged torture in custody. After this, the matter was handed over to the NIA by the CBI in 2011.

Though there were 10 accused in the case, only these five were tried.

A high alert has been sounded ahead of the crucial verdict in the Mecca Masjid case. During my stay in jail, Kaleem helped me a lot and used to serve me by bringing water, food, etc for me. In April 2016, ten years after the case, ten Muslim youths, who had been accused in the case, were let go by a special NIA court on the grounds of lack of evidence against them. "Witnesses turned hostile in the case". The investigative agency had, however, denied Salian's allegations.

"Justice has not been done, the NIA & the Modi govt didn't even appeal against the bail that was given to the accused within 90 days".

The state police has sounded high alert in the city ahead of the verdict.