Aarushi-Hemraj murder case: Supreme Court admits pleas challenging Talwars' acquittal


Banjade, Hemraj's wife, had approached the apex court in December previous year and had then said, "We've come to the Supreme Court for justice. the high court freed them (Talwars), they are killers. they should be punished". During its previous judgement, the Allahabad High Court while slamming the CBI had said there were numerous loopholes in the CBI's submissions to the court which weakened the case further. A CBI court in Ghaziabad sentenced them to life imprisonment on November 26, 2013. Hemraj's wife Khumkala Benzade said in the petition that the High Court's decision being wrong because the High Court has treated the case as a murder but has not convicted anyone.

Ms Banjade, who had petitioned the Supreme Court in December past year, said the High Court had accepted that her husband was killed and the investigating agency or CBI can not abandon its responsibility to uncover the murder.

The verdict ended a nine-year ordeal of the parents who were found guilty by a CBI court of murdering 14-year-old Aarushi in a fit of rage because they suspected her of having an affair with Hemraj.

Aarushi was found dead inside her room in the Talwars' Noida residence with her throat slit in May 2008.

China appoints US-trained economist head of central bank
USA -educated Yi Gang , 60, a protege of outgoing PBOC chief Zhou Xiaochuan, has been vice PBOC governor since 2008. Yi was instrumental in steering monetary and currency policy, including a landmark yuan devaluation in 2015.

While issuing a notice to Talwars, the bench of Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice R. Banumathi also granted leave in the matter which puts the appeal in the queue of the cases and may take long before it is actually heard by the court. "The chain of evidence they have showcased is inconclusive", the court had said.

Initial suspicion in the case was directed towards 45-year-old Hemraj, who had gone missing following the discovery of Aarushi's body. The pleas challenge the acquittal of dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar.

Following protests over the police probe, the case was handed over to the CBI, which arrested the Talwars.