Former top cop insults Nirbhaya, her mother, and all women


Former Karnataka DGP H T Sangliana, while speaking at the Nirbhaya Awards in Bengaluru on Women's Day, had stoked a row by making a controversial remark on Nirbhaya's mother Asha Devi. "He had said that when you are getting raped it is better not to oppose and if you are overpowered, you should surrender and follow up case later to prevent being killed". "I said it in order to emphasise the relevance of protection and security to women, who should be given protection all the times".

"I consider my statement to be totally within the limit and I feel people are making an issue out of a non-issue", he added. "This statement was only to highlight the vulnerability of women in general", he said.

Sangliana had commented about Ms. Devi's physique and said, "When I look at her (Nirbhaya's mother), her physique is very, very nice". Activist Anita Cheria, who shared a detailed account of Friday's event with Mirror, was shocked with the comment.

United Kingdom to consider next steps in spy dispute
He was granted refuge in the UK after a high-profile spy exchange between the United States and Russian Federation in 2010. Moscow announced the measures on the eve of a presidential election which incumbent Vladimir Putin should comfortably win.

Several people attending the event are believed to have left in disgust after Sangliana made the remarks.

The demeaning remarks by the former Karnataka DGP were made against the mother of 2012 Delhi gang-rape victim, Asha Devi, at a "Nirbhaya Award" in Bengaluru. "When top government officials, from the police, seemingly well -meaning, think it appropriate to comment, appreciating a woman's good physique, we, as a society, have long way to go to change mindsets and bring any measurable lasting change in favour of women", she said.

The gang-rape of the 23-year-old student Nirbhaya in Delhi on December 16, 2012, by a group of six men, caught worldwide attention after she succumbed to injuries. She succumbed to her injuries 13 days later at a Singapore hospital.