Nigerian official says abducted schoolgirls were not rescued after all


Nigerian authorities often deny or downplay such incidents, including the Chibok girl kidnapping and more recent abductions, as well as the scale of Boko Haram attacks in the northeast.

"We stand resolute to continue our humanitarian and development work, including the rights and protection of girls".

But the report on the girls as contained in a statement signed by Abdullahi Bego, the Director-General, Press Affairs to Governor Gaidam, late Wednesday, claimed that some of the girls were rescued and were in the custody of the Nigerian Army.

"Many of us are traumatized", she said, adding that the school had given students a one-week break after the ordeal.

Meanwhile, the Senate on Thursday warned against treating the attack in Yobe like the case of the Chibok girls in Borno State. "We saw some people pushing some of the students to enter their vehicles".

The Minister also said the attack on the school by the insurgents is just to embarrass government and attract attention across the world, stressing that "with the determination of the gallant soldiers the days of Boko haram is over".

Oscar-nominated film 'The Shape of Water' accused of plagiarism
Moreover, accusations of plagiarism against high-profile films crop up like clockwork every year, especially around this time. David is suing FOX Searchlight and director Guillermo del Toro on behalf of the family trust Paul set up for his children.

"We issued the statement on the basis of information provided by one of the security agencies that is involved in the fight against Boko Haram and which we had no reason to doubt", the statement read.

"We have now established that the information we relied on to make the statement was not credible".

The governor of the Nigerian state of Yobe on Thursday told residents of a village that no missing girls had been rescued following a Boko Haram attack, according to four of those who heard the official speak.

Meanwhile, all efforts to reach the Army, Police and the Yobe state command has proved abortive as they are not picking their calls nor responding to text messages.

His Excellency Governor Ibrahim Gaidam is deeply saddened and outraged by the unfortunate event and has directed that all relevant personnel and agencies work closely with the army and other security organizations to address the situation.