The beds in Kingston are among 2,000 new patient beds and spaces that are to be created across the province.
Windsor Regional Hospital will benefit from the provincial government announcement of additional beds for hospitals and homecare across Ontario.
With the flu season approaching, the province is also encouraging people in Ontario to get the free flu vaccine. "And we know that with flu season upon us, there will certainly be more patients in need". The vaccine is available starting this week at health care provider offices, local public health units or at participating pharmacies across the province. At the time, Hoskins said he was considering a similar strategy at other former health-care sites that are now not being used to care for patients.
"Our government is taking action to ensure people across Ontario have access to the care they need, when and where they need it". "Given the extraordinary pressures now facing Ontario's health-care system, it is imperative that hospitals, home and community service providers and government work together and do everything possible to ensure that Ontarians have appropriate access to health services".
"I am happy to say that our government has heard the advocacy from its members and hospitals across the province". Part of that effort includes 150 beds at Humber River Regional Hospital's former Finch Avenue site - closed in 2015 - and 75 beds at University Health Network's former Hillcrest site, which closed its doors in 2013.
"Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre has experienced surging volumes for over a year". It warned that the impending flu season could generate a "capacity crisis" in Toronto and beyond if the government did not respond in time.
Marcus Peters Testified on Marshawn Lynch's Behalf at Suspension Appeal Hearing
It was after a play in which Peters was flagged for an unnecessary roughness penalty for a late hit on Raiders quarterback Derek Carr .
The beds will be divided among four hospitals in northeastern Ontario. He said he is also looking at next year's budget along with Finance Minister Charles Sousa, with an eye toward securing more funds for additional permanent beds. He referred to an HQO report released last week, which found that each day, there are nearly 4,000 hospital beds that are filled with patients who do not need acute care but can no longer safely live at home.
Some of the $100-million will also go towards improving care for patients transitioning out of a hospital.
The province is also spending $40 million to create 600 transitional spaces to provide specialized care outside of hospitals and 200 spaces for supportive housing for seniors, Hoskins said.
Since 2003, Ontario has more than doubled its investment in home care.
Monday's announcement coincided with the first day that the flu shot is available in Ontario.