Kids are participating in a unsafe social media trend called the "Hot Water Challenge", which prompts them to drink or pour boiling hot water onto others.
According to reports, Pope had sustained multiple burn wounds to her mouth and throat, which she succumbed to nearly three weeks later. The night she died, she told her family she couldn't breathe, and fell unconscious shortly thereafter. In addition to Pope, the trend has left several kids with serious injuries.
The breathtakingly risky Hot Water Challenge appears to have started two years ago but is now sparking urgent warnings following high-profile casualties.
The "Hot Water Challenge", which kids say was inspired by YouTube videos, involves pouring boiling water on an unsuspecting friend - or, in one fatal instance, daring a friend to drink boiling water through a straw.
And in the Bronx, an 11-year-old named Jamoneish Merritt was hospitalized with burns on her face and body so bad that doctors won't even let her look at them.
Eugene Dalmida, 52, stood outside of a Harlem hospital while his niece, Jamoneisha, was inside recovering from her injuries.
Last July, 10-year-old Wesley Smith from North Carolina spent several weeks undergoing surgery in the Winston Salem Burn Center after he and his step-brother attempted the Hot Water Challenge.
Similar to the cinnamon challenge that found folks ingesting risky amounts of cinnamon that could cause choking deaths, the "Hot Water Challenge" might sound like a harmless prank to some people, but is anything but harmless.
New Orleans Saints vs. Cleveland Browns - Preseason Week 1 Predictions
Osweiler threw behind Corey Coleman on a short slant route for a poorly executed first offensive play for the Browns . Erving did not help himself in the battle for the right tackle spot, but Shon Coleman was not ideal either.
Now parents of the victims are speaking out and begging other parents to talk to their children about this risky challenge. Jamoneisha's mother shared photos of her daughter in the hospital on social media, saying, "I need for these kids to know how serious this is".
"Parents, talk to your kids about these challenges", Pope's aunt Diane Johnson told a local CBS affiliate.
Wesley's stepfather, Jimmy Daugherty, echoed her concerns.
And know how your kids are using this technology, how they're consuming it, and what it's doing to them in terms of attitude changes.
Why are these videos still on YouTube?
A SHOCKING new craze is spreading across social media encouraging youngsters to scald each other and themselves with burning water.
Mic has reached out to YouTube about why some of these videos have remained live on the site and will update this post if we hear back. Many attempting the challenge ended up with over-swollen, bruised lips. It's unlikely high schools in America will need to ban hot water anytime soon.