Cause of Woman's Stomach Pain Leaves Doctors 'Dumbfounded'

Share

The 30 year old said that she had not worn a dental brace for a decade, and didn't remember having swallowed the wire or having lost it.

Doctors thought the woman's gallbladder was causing the pain so they sent her home after she started feeling better.

That puzzled her doctors, who said it was odd that the decade-old piece of her braces just now started causing pain.

According to the report, since the small intestine - between the stomach and the large intestine - had been punctured in several places, it had twisted around on itself.

But the woman returned two-days later in extreme pain.

"We were all a bit dumbfounded", says Shepherd. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.

The seven-centimetre piece of orthodontic wire punctured her small intestine causing her to feel agonizing pain.

Digging Through The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) Technicals
The transaction was disclosed in a filing with the Securities & Exchange Commission, which is available through this link . COPYRIGHT VIOLATION WARNING: This piece was published by Transcript Daily and is the sole property of of Transcript Daily.

A three-inch piece of wire from an Australian woman's braces removed 10 years ago caused her to go to the doctor in severe stomach pain. Often, patients come to the emergency room with such stomach pain after swallowing fish bones which then perforate the bowels.

She pointed out that the case was a rare occurrence.

"That's what makes the case so unusual", Dr Shepherd said.

Swallowing braces wire is not very common, said Shephard, who wrote up the sensational case for BMJ Case Reports medical journal.

Gastroenterologist Dr. Pat Raymond said that it was odd that the patient didn't remember swallowing the wire. "The case is so unique is because normally if you swallow something like that it presents earlier", she added.

"It's incredibly common in my professions to see people who have swallowed things", said Raymond, adding that the objects swallowed would often vary depending on whether patients had swallowed them by mistake or on objective.

"But if people swallow batteries, children swallow magnets, or sharp objects like razor blades or packages of cocaine, that's where we get involved to actively remove them", Bell added.

Share