Copper cocktail mugs can be poisonous, health officials say

Share

It's bad news for Moscow Mule fans, the Insta-friendly drink which is typically served in a trendy copper mug.

A recent study conducted by the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division found that the mug may be poisoning drinkers.

Because the mugs were tarnished and pitted, Werning said, the Iowa Alocholic Beverages Division issued an advisory July 28 to restaurants in the state, eventually drawing national attention.

The body examined the relationship between copper and food, and concluded that serving any food or liquid with a pH balance below 6, including vinegar and fruit juice, could result in copper poisoning - which can cause diarrhea, vomiting, jaundice and low blood pressure. If they do, they risk suffering food poisoning.

Duterte calls for unity against threats and corruption in the ASEAN region
The RCEP is now being negotiated among the 10 Asean members, China, Japan, Australia, India , New Zealand and South Korea. Before Trump's withdrawal, TPP would have covered 40 percent of the global economy.

However, lucky for Moscow Mule lovers, they do have a solution to this dilemma.

It is a simple, yet popular cocktail that contains vodka, ginger beer and lime juice and is often accompanied by a wedge of lime. Complete with a lime garnish, the drink serves up aesthetically pleasing photo-ops for outlets like Instagram.

The FDA's Moral Food Code which prohibits copper from coming in direct contact with foods that have a pH below 6.0. Therefore, consuming it in a copper mug can be really unsafe. Before preparing the drink, make sure you choose one which has copper only on the outside.

But there's good news - copper mugs with an inner lining made up of another metal like stainless steel or nickel are completely safe, according to the statement.

Share