Carl Frampton v Andres Gutierrez bout cancelled after Mexican's shower slip

Share

That contest would not have been a WBC title eliminator, with Northern Irishman Frampton weighing in a pound over the featherweight limit.

Financial purse compensation for Gutierrez had been agreed in order to allow the bout to progress before the Mexican later suffered a weird accident, slipping in his hotel-room shower, which resulted in cuts to his chin and nose while he also lost two teeth in the fall.

I can't recall a bigger freak accident happening so close to a fight in the history of boxing.

"We should do it in October or November now", said Selby.

The 30-year-old, once a world champion at featherweight and super-bantamweight, had been priming himself to fight in his home city for what might have been the final time. That would make sense. Do they know how long this guy will take to recover?

McGuigan, speaking to the Irish media ahead of the now-cancelled Gutierrez bout, said: "We feel Saturday night is the next chapter in Carl's career and one I'm excited about, because we can see the finish line now".

The fight tonight with Carl Frampton subsequently is called off.

Lionel Messi influence to blame for Neymar Barcelona to PSG transfer
Spanish media reported yesterday that Neymar did not return with Barcelona after their Miami ICC expedition. Could we have the most shocking transfer of the summer window on the cards? But we will have to wait.

Frampton and trainer Shane McGuigan exhausted all measures within the rules to shed the weight but just found it impossible after an extended break following his January defeat by Leo Santa Cruz.

Frampton appears to agree with Selby and in his column in the Sunday Life newspaper yesterday he stated he is setting his sights on a world title fight before Christmas. Both Frampton and Cyclone vehemently denied such allegations, while pictures and TV footage of Gutierrez's injuries clearly showed that the Mexican was badly injured.

Gutierrez's team could not be reached for comment last night.

The sell-out fight was going to be Frampton's first appearance in Belfast since he beat Chris Avalos two-and-a-half years ago.

"I tried everything I could to cut down, but unfortunately, my body just wouldn't allow it in the end".

In relation to the reason for the fight cancellation, the Antrim native suspects that 'people are finding it hard to swallow'.

Share